STARKVILLE, Miss. – Regulation wasn’t sufficient because the Mississippi State girls’s basketball group used two time beyond regulation intervals to knock off Tennessee, 91-90, in entrance of a crowd of over 5,000. The win strikes the Bulldogs to 16-7 total and 5-5 within the SEC, whereas the loss drops Tennessee’s document to 17-9 total and 8-2 within the SEC.
That is the primary double-overtime win for MSU since March 24, 2014, towards Southern Miss when the Bulldogs gained 74-66. That is additionally head coach Sam Purcell’s sixteenth profession victory making him the winningest first-year head coach in program historical past.
JerKaila Jordan was the driving drive for the Bulldog offense, flattening a season-high 24 factors, six rebounds and three steals. Jordan scored 11 within the first half, 12 within the second half and an enormous free throw in time beyond regulation.
Becoming a member of Jordan in double-figures had been Asianae Johnson and Anastasia Hayes. Johnson, a serious spark for the Bulldogs late within the contest with six straight factors within the fourth quarter, tied her season-high on Monday with 16 factors on 7-of-9 capturing. Within the second time beyond regulation, Hayes took over after the body began with a Tennessee triple. After buckets from Johnson and Ramani Parker, Hayes scored 5 straight factors, together with three on the free throw line to assist push the MSU result in six. Hayes ended the sport with 14 factors, with eight rebounds, 4 steals and three assists.
- First time State has scored in double-digits within the first quarter since Jan. 19 towards Auburn (18)
- The sport was tied 31 to 31 going into halftime
- Bulldogs outscored the Girl Vols 40-26 within the paint
- 91 is tied for essentially the most factors State has scored towards Tennessee
- State improves to 2-0 towards the Girl Vols in OT (first one coming in Starkville 1/29/2016)
- Jordan scored 24 factors, essentially the most she’s scored in SEC play since scoring 20 final season
- That is the Bulldog’s first high 20 NET win
- Bulldog’s first win in 2OT since 2014 towards Southern Miss
- State’s bench outscored the Girl Vols 40-34
- Tennessee held to 4 steals, tied for his or her lowest this season.
- Bulldogs third straight SEC house win
- Bulldogs at the moment are 11-2 at house
- Charlotte Kohl made her first begin of the season, twelfth in her profession
- Ramani Parker has now knocked down a three-pointer in every of the previous three video games
- Tennessee shot 44 free throws to Mississippi State’s 33 free throws
Quoting Coach Sam Purcell
We had an incredible speak this week. I had some drained our bodies and drained minds, and we went again to the fundamentals, and it began with me. We’re doing approach an excessive amount of. We all know the best way to make performs, I’ve gotta get out of the best way, however on the identical time you all must convey your angle, your toughness. We made a change in transition protection, and I advised each of them, my double A batteries over there, [Asianae] and [Anastasia], you all are two of the quickest youngsters within the SEC. You wanna win, you wanna change the tempo for our group, they gotta really feel you for 4 quarters, however clearly, tonight was extra.”
Quoting Anastasia Hayes
On the way it feels to know that coach has your again as nicely
“It means rather a lot that he has [our] again. To have a coach that fights and tells us he’ll battle is superior. At that second, I felt like we’ve got an in depth relationship, and I may be like “Coach, settle down somewhat bit”, however we caught it out and obtained the win, and he stayed constructive, we stayed constructive, and we had his again.”
Mississippi State might be on the street Thursday once they journey to Gainesville, Fla., to tackle the Florida Gators. Tip-off is ready for six p.m. CT.